Tuesday, December 27, 2011

New states, new friends...Hello Alabama!

CRANE COUNT: 176

It's been about a week since we drove down to Florida, so the fam decided it was time for a change. How did we decide where to go? Google-ed the weather forecast for areas surrounding Pensacola and decided on the one with the warmest weather, of course. Hah! The winner turned out to be Gulf Shores, Alabama, which was supposedly about an hour's drive. I ended up behind the wheel, and what was supposed to be an hour's drive ended up being more like two...or three...it's debatable. However, I personally blame my navigator! 

The trip was going fine until we actually reached the Gulf Shores area. Somehow, we took the wrong road, and after miles of driving past the strange stilted beach houses Floridians call normal (and Alabamians (if that's a word) do too apparently!)....

...it finally came to the end. And literally the end. A developer had bought the entire rest of the island and made it into a gated neighborhood. So much for that... Actually, it was at this point that we realized we were, in fact, not supposed to be on the island, but were supposed to be on the mainland. Yep, great job, navigator!

By this time, it was about 3 pm and the crew was getting hungry. Which is where Bahama Bob's Cafe comes into the picture, and the first Alabama crane!! You might have thought otherwise, but I really could see a difference between Florida and Alabama...the architecture was a bit different, and I could definitely hear more of a southern accent. However, I found that people in both states have that famous southern hospitality...I don't think I have met a single rude or unpleasant person so far on this trip. 

172- Allison, Bahama Bob's, Gulf Shores, AL
We had planned on kayaking, but the weatherman lied...it started to rain in Gulf Shores as well. So, we headed up to the famous Tanger (pronounced, I now know, Tang-gur, not Tan-jer lol) Outlet Mall in Foley, Alabama to spend some of that Christmas money! There, while waiting on family members to finish trying clothes on, I made friends with some of the bored TJ Maxx employees...Caroline, Zach, Mary- Francis, and Des.

173- Caroline, TJ Maxx, Foley AL
175- Zach (aka "the awesome guy")- TJ Maxx, Foley AL
175, 176- Mary-Francis & Des, TJ Maxx, Foley, AL
And one of us all together! Awesomeness...I don't usually get asked to be in the picture too!
I just love how randomly folding pieces of paper can bring all types of people together...

If you guys are reading this, leave a comment and like my page on facebook so we can keep in touch! 



Check back soon for more pictures and stores:) My next project is to support the Falling Whistles Campaign
More on this in my next post...but please check out their website and watch the intro video about this war that is the world's deadliest currently, but that receives almost no publicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment