Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Crabby Cranes

Yep! I finally went swimming. This morning, I was out on the dock sketching when my dad walked out, swimsuit clad and bearing beach towels. He was about to jump in himself, but I of course said "hold up! I am so coming in!" 

The temp I would say was colder than New Zealand summer ocean, but warmer than Dripping Springs in New Mexico. Of course, being warmer than the second one is not saying much. Neither my dad nor I could talk for about 30 seconds after we jumped in there, and just about couldn't stay in much longer for fear of hypothermia. Hah. Today, it was a little bit of a shock, but after a couple seconds it felt great...I think a morning swim is in order for tomorrow. Later today, I saw a flyer for an local event in town- the "Polar Bear Plunge," held January first. I think I am all ready for that already, thank you very much. Evidence below:

Yeah, no biggie!

It was also my amazing sister's birthday today (or yesterday now, since it's after 12...). So, after our morning dip, we took her shopping, had a picnic on the beach, watched a movie at home (Soul Surfer), and then went out to dinner at Crabs- We Got 'Em. They did, in fact, have crabs. Many crabs. Including a giant plaster crab that looks like it's going to fall on top of you as you walk in. I felt like I was being attacked by monster crabs, which kind of reminded me of the end of this scene in Pirates of the Caribbean- At World's End. 

But anyways, I had completely forgotten to give any other cranes away today. What with having no paper along with me, and only those super skinny one-ply napkins (curse them...how do they expect you to make origami out of one-ply napkins?!), I was challenged to use the slightly greasy paper from our order of sweet potato fries. 

Note the look of disgust...
However, I soldiered on to make crane no. 171. The crane recipient, Richard, did say, and I quote now, "what is it, an upside-down frog?!" That's a new one. Oh well, it's made! He said he would hang it up in the restaurant, so if you ever go to Crabs- We Got 'Em, look for a slightly greasy red and white checked lying around. Oh, and also, I highly recommend the coconut shrimp. Very tasty!

171- Richard, Crabs- We Got 'Em, Pensacola FL. 
Check back soon for more. I seem to be on a roll lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment